Zostel is a backpacker’s hostel chain across India, and there are a couple of Zostel hostels in Kerala.
Where is Zostel Alleppey located?
Short answer: Practically right on the beach!
It’s also about a 10-15 minute rickshaw ride from the Alleppey bus station and Alleppey ferry station.
Type in “Zostel Alleppey” below (partner website) along with your travel dates (or any future date) for an idea of how much this Alleppey hostel costs.
Or go here directly for hostel price along with reviews and photos.
Things to do when staying at Zostel Alleppey
2. Check in at the outdoor reception
3. Chill on the rooftop where there’s a common area and hammocks with ocean views
4. Chill on the ground floor where there’s a common area
5. Head to Alleppey Beach that’s a 5 second walk from the hostel
6. Make your own food at the kitchen after buying food from a grocery store in town
In a room with dorm beds in all-male or all-female rooms
Or in a private room
8. Book a backwaters canoe tour or kayaking tour
9. Eat at a restaurant with ocean views
That’s a 1 minute walk away
Or that’s a 10 second walk away
10. Go for a walk on the village road that runs along the beach to the end of the road
HAPPY HOSTEL STAY IN ALLEPPEY!
The need-to-know India travel tips!If it's your first trip to India, be sure to see these tips for getting around India on a budget, and more! You might wait until India to buy this mosquito repellent that works for many foreigners! Also be sure to see how to spend one month in South India and 2 weeks in North India, as well as tips for the Golden Triangle. And, overnight sleeper bus travel isn't so bad, and neither is traveling in general class on the train! Also see the easy way to get an e-visa. And this is the easy way to book train tickets online as a foreigner. I've used it, and it's simple! You can just show the e-ticket on your phone.
There are affiliate links on this page that lead to partner websites.
Hostels in KeralaFor a hostel with international standards in Kerala, try Zostel!
More Zostels in Kerala:
Zostel is a top backpacker chain across India, and I've stayed at many Zostels in India! And outside of Kerala, if you'll be passing through Gokarna as you go from Goa to Kerala (here are options of how to get from Goa to Kerala!), then Zostel Gokarna is in an amazing location too! Here are pictures from the on-site cafe that overlooks the ocean.
Where to stay on the tourist trail in KeralaThese places basically go down the coast from north to south!
- Cochin: Try a homestay in the cute heritage area of Fort Kochi.
- Marari Beach: This is an "off-beat" location as Marari is mostly unknown to backpackers, but it can be a convenient stop to make between Cochin and Alleppey with chill laid back vibes. For an idea of what type of beach can be nearby, see my beach walk from Alleppey to Marari.
- Alleppey Beach:
- Funky Art Beach House again for chill vibes with a location among locals in a residential neighborhood
- And there's Zostel Alleppey too for another beach location to stay several days
- OR if Alleppey is a quick visit, try Dream Nest to be closer to town
- And see how to spend one day in Alleppey (short version: go for the backwaters village canoe tour instead of a houseboat!)
- Alleppey backwaters:
- Munroe Island: This is another generally kind of more off-beat location, and you can see a different part of the Kerala backwaters on a quiet island
- Varkala cliff:
Retreats in KeralaFor relaxation and rejuvenation for health and wellness, also see:
- Yoga retreats in Kerala
- Ayurveda retreats in Kerala - ayurveda is basically healthy living through natural herbs and remedies, and Kerala is the birthplace of ayurveda!
How to book India train tickets online as a foreignerIf you don't want to go through the complicated process of setting up an IRCTC Indian railways account as a foreigner...
Then the most convenient way to buy train tickets online is through this booking website. I've used it, and it's super simple! You buy the ticket, and then show the electronic version on your phone once you're on the train. Compared to buying directly through an Indian ticket booking website (IRCTC account required) or directly at the train station in India, there is a small convenience fee, as well as a less flexible cancellation policy, though!