As of summer 2019, there are 4 Zostel hostels in Kerala:
- Zostel Kochi in Fort Cochin
- Zostel Alleppey near Alleppey Beach
- Zostel Wayanad
- Zostel Vagamon
Cochin and Alleppey are a part of this one week Kerala itinerary.
So, if you’re looking for hostels in Kerala, have a look at these comfortable budget accommodation stays!
All the Zostels I’ve stayed at in India (Kochi, Alleppey, Mumbai, Gokarna) have had AC rooms, and I think this is standard across all Zostels in India.
They have more locations all across India in popular backpacker destinations.
The AC dorm rooms also mean that you’ll pay a small premium for this extra convenience and you will likely be able to find cheaper hostels in any city where there’s a Zostel.
Zostel isn’t for the extreme backpacker on a super budget, but if you want a little bit of extra comfort while having a place to be able to meet others, you just may like staying at a Zostel in Kerala.
No matter which Zostel you stay at in India, you can expect common areas and friendly people, which can make them a good place for solo travelers to stay.
As far as accommodation, you can get both dorm beds and private rooms.
Here are a few reasons to love each of these hostels in Kerala
…of the ones I have been to!
Fort Cochin hostel
5 things to do when staying at Zostel Kochi
1. Eat a healthy breakfast
Breakfast isn’t free, but you can go for a healthy fruit-filled breakfast here.
2. Chill on the rooftop in the common area
3. Walk around the main area of Fort Cochin that’s just a few minutes walk away
Since Fort Cochin is not really that big of an area, staying at Zostel Kochi means that it’s just a short walk to the cute colonial buildings, as well as places to eat.
4. Rent a bicycle to go cycling around Cochin
You can rent a bicycle (or a scooter) directly at Zostel which can be very convenient.
You can start your bike ride immediately without having to go anywhere!
5. Book a backwaters canoe day tour
This is a backwaters tour that will likely be around Vaikom in Alleppey district so it includes the ride to and from Alleppey.
The cost of this full-day backwaters tour from Cochin will probably be around 800 rupees (US$11).
If you book a canoe tour through Zostel, DO make sure to eat breakfast before the tour!
This seemed like it was the top tip from people who took the canoe tour from Cochin.
If you take a standard full-day canoe tour in Alleppey, it’ll come with breakfast AND lunch.
But with a canoe tour from Cochin, you won’t get breakfast, so be sure to eat ahead of time, or bring snacks with you!
Otherwise, people seemed to like this tour.
If you’ll be going to Alleppey as a part of your backpacking Kerala itinerary, go for a canoe tour from Alleppey instead of Cochin!
Where is Zostel Kochi located?
Once again, with Fort Cochin not being too big of an area, you can say this is located in a pretty convenient area.
Although when arriving to Cochin, you might be coming from the Ernakulam bus station or Ernakulam ferry station, in which case see how to get from Ernakulam to Fort Cochin.
Type in “Zostel Kochi” below (partner website) along with your travel dates (or any future date) for an idea of how much this hostel in Kerala costs.
Alleppey Beach hostel
5 things to do when staying at Zostel Alleppey
1. Chill on the rooftop with views of the ocean
Similar to Zostel Kochi, there’s a rooftop common area at Zostel Alleppey too.
But in Alleppey, you get ocean views!
2. Chill on the ground floor where there’s a common area
3. Head to Alleppey Beach that’s a 5 second walk from the property
4. Make your own food at the kitchen after buying food from an Alleppey grocery store
5. Book a backwaters day tour
You can book a Kerala backwaters canoe tour or kayak tour through Zostel.
Where is Zostel Alleppey located?
You now know that it’s located practically on the beach.
Aside from that, it’s located about a 10-15 minute rickshaw ride from the Alleppey bus station and Alleppey ferry station.
Type in “Zostel Alleppey” below along with your travel dates (or any future date) for an idea of how much this hostel in Kerala costs.
HAPPY ZOSTEL HOSTEL STAY IN KERALA!
The need-to-know India travel tips!If it's your first trip to India, be sure to see these tips for getting around India on a budget, and more! Also be sure to see how to spend one month in South India and 2 weeks in North India, as well as tips for the Golden Triangle. And, overnight sleeper bus travel isn't so bad, and neither is traveling in general class on the train! Also see the easy way to get an e-visa.
There are affiliate links on this page that lead to partner websites.
Where to stay on the tourist trail in KeralaThese places basically go down the coast from north to south!
- Cochin: Try a homestay in the cute heritage area of Fort Kochi.
- Marari Beach: This is an "off-beat" location as Marari is mostly unknown to backpackers, but it can be a convenient stop to make between Cochin and Alleppey with chill laid back vibes. For an idea of what type of beach can be nearby, see my beach walk from Alleppey to Marari.
- Alleppey Beach:
- Funky Art Beach House again for chill vibes with a location among locals in a residential neighborhood
- And there's Zostel Alleppey too for another beach location to stay several days
- OR if Alleppey is a quick visit, try Dream Nest to be closer to town
- And see how to spend one day in Alleppey (short version: go for the backwaters village canoe tour instead of a houseboat!)
- Alleppey backwaters:
- Munroe Island: This is another generally kind of more off-beat location, and you can see a different part of the Kerala backwaters on a quiet island
- Varkala cliff:
Retreats in KeralaFor relaxation and rejuvenation for health and wellness, also see:
- Yoga retreats in Kerala
- Ayurveda retreats in Kerala - ayurveda is basically healthy living through natural herbs and remedies, and Kerala is the birthplace of ayurveda!
How to book India train tickets online as a foreignerIf you don't want to go through the complicated process of setting up an IRCTC Indian railways account as a foreigner...
Then the most convenient way to buy train tickets online is through this booking website. I've used it, and it's super simple! You buy the ticket, and then show the electronic version on your phone once you're on the train. Compared to buying directly through an Indian ticket booking website (IRCTC account required) or directly at the train station in India, there is a small convenience fee, as well as a less flexible cancellation policy, though!