So if you’re looking at taking a bus from Kottayam to Alleppey, maybe it’s because you decided to make it a day trip on the Alleppey to Kottayam ferry.
You may also consider leaving Alleppey for good and bringing your luggage along on the Kottayam ferry.
But of course, making it a return trip and heading back to Alleppey on the same day can work too!
So you can head back to Alleppey by taking the same ferry back.
Or if you feel like you’ve spent enough time on a boat for the time being (it’s about a 3 hour ride), then taking the bus back to Alleppey is also an option.
This is what I did – ferry to Kottayam, then bus to Alleppey.
And overall it’s a pretty easy thing to do.
This is basically how it’ll work out once you get to Kottayam.
Arrive at Kottayam ferry station!
Walk from Kottayam ferry station to Kottayam bus station
It’s about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the ferry station to the bus station.
Here’s a map for your potential walking route.
After sitting on a boat for nearly 3 hours, the walk could be good for your legs! 😉
But, if you’d rather not walk, you’ll also likely find rickshaws right outside the ferry station.
Arrive at Kottayam bus station
Once you get to the Kottayam bus station, you can head over to the station master office.
There, you can find out when the next bus to Alleppey is.
What are the Kottayam to Alleppey bus timings?
Looking at the aanavandi website to get an idea, there seem to be frequent bus timings from Kottayam to Alleppey.
These bus timings are meant as a guide and shouldn’t be taken as an absolute!
These are some of the listed Kottayam to Alleppey bus timings:
So based on this, you can feel pretty confident that you’ll likely be able to find a bus back to Alleppey when you show up at the Kottayam bus station.
Bus schedules like these may not always be accurate, but they can be helpful in order to determine if it’s a reasonable option.
In this case, based on the frequency of the bus timings listed, it’ll likely work out so at least you won’t be waiting for hours waiting for a bus to Alleppey.
I probably waited around 30 minutes.
The bus ride from Kottayam to the Alleppey bus station may have been around 2 hours.
HAPPY KOTTAYAM TO ALLEPPEY BUS RIDE!
More bus travel in Kerala
Kottayam ferry travel
- Alleppey to Kottayam ferry
- Alleppey to Munnar
- Alleppey to Thekkady
- Kottayam to Munnar bus
- Kottayam to Thekkady bus
The need-to-know India travel tips!If it's your first trip to India, be sure to see these tips for getting around India on a budget, and more! Also be sure to see how to spend one month in South India and 2 weeks in North India, as well as tips for the Golden Triangle. And, overnight sleeper bus travel isn't so bad, and neither is traveling in general class on the train! Also see the easy way to get an e-visa.
There are affiliate links on this page that lead to partner websites.
Where to stay on the tourist trail in KeralaThese places basically go down the coast from north to south!
- Cochin: Try a homestay in the cute heritage area of Fort Kochi.
- Marari Beach: This is an "off-beat" location as Marari is mostly unknown to backpackers, but it can be a convenient stop to make between Cochin and Alleppey with chill laid back vibes. For an idea of what type of beach can be nearby, see my beach walk from Alleppey to Marari.
- Alleppey Beach:
- Funky Art Beach House again for chill vibes with a location among locals in a residential neighborhood
- And there's Zostel Alleppey too for another beach location to stay several days
- OR if Alleppey is a quick visit, try Dream Nest to be closer to town
- And see how to spend one day in Alleppey (short version: go for the backwaters village canoe tour instead of a houseboat!)
- Alleppey backwaters:
- Munroe Island: This is another generally kind of more off-beat location, and you can see a different part of the Kerala backwaters on a quiet island
- Varkala cliff:
Retreats in KeralaFor relaxation and rejuvenation for health and wellness, also see:
- Yoga retreats in Kerala
- Ayurveda retreats in Kerala - ayurveda is basically healthy living through natural herbs and remedies, and Kerala is the birthplace of ayurveda!
How to book India train tickets online as a foreignerIf you don't want to go through the complicated process of setting up an IRCTC Indian railways account as a foreigner...
Then the most convenient way to buy train tickets online is through this booking website. I've used it, and it's super simple! You buy the ticket, and then show the electronic version on your phone once you're on the train. Compared to buying directly through an Indian ticket booking website (IRCTC account required) or directly at the train station in India, there is a small convenience fee, as well as a less flexible cancellation policy, though!