If you’re looking for a quieter alternative to the Alleppey backwaters, you just might love the Munroe Island backwaters.
The best way to get a Munroe Island canoe tour would be do go stay on the island for a night or 2 (or more!) and then arrange a canoe tour through your accommodation.
Otherwise, you can probably contact any guesthouse or homestay on Munroe Island and they will likely be happy to arrange it for you.
My backwaters canoe ride cost 500 rupees (US$7) for a 2 hour sunrise canoe tour.
For comparison, Alleppey canoe tours are usually around 1,000 rupees (US$15) but the tours around this price range are full-day tours that come with breakfast and lunch.
A canoe ride through the Munroe Island backwaters will give you a much quieter backwaters experience from a canoe though!
Here are pictures from my canoe ride through the Kerala backwaters around Munroe Island!
What to do after your canoe tour?!
Once you get back to your Munroe Island homestay, you can have a delicious Kerala breakfast waiting for you.
And then, how about…
Where to stay in Munroe Island
There are affiliate links below.
Have a look at these top-rated Munroe Island homestays
- Munroe Nest homestay
- Green Chromide homestay
- Munroe Days homestay
- Munroe Heritage Inn
- Villagio Munroe
More Munroe Island accommodation
HAPPY MUNROE ISLAND CANOE TOUR!
Be sure to take a look the Kerala Travel Guide for one week in Kerala so you can plan the PERFECT trip to Kerala!
The need-to-know India travel tips!If it's your first trip to India, be sure to see these tips for getting around India on a budget, and more! You might wait until India to buy this mosquito repellent that works for many foreigners! Also be sure to see how to spend one month in South India and 2 weeks in North India, as well as tips for the Golden Triangle. And, overnight sleeper bus travel isn't so bad, and neither is traveling in general class on the train! Also see the easy way to get an e-visa. And this is the easy way to book train tickets online as a foreigner. I've used it, and it's simple! You can just show the e-ticket on your phone.
There are affiliate links on this page that lead to partner websites.
Hostels in KeralaFor a hostel with international standards in Kerala, try Zostel!
More Zostels in Kerala:
Zostel is a top backpacker chain across India, and I've stayed at many Zostels in India! And outside of Kerala, if you'll be passing through Gokarna as you go from Goa to Kerala (here are options of how to get from Goa to Kerala!), then Zostel Gokarna is in an amazing location too! Here are pictures from the on-site cafe that overlooks the ocean.
Where to stay on the tourist trail in KeralaThese places basically go down the coast from north to south!
- Cochin: Try a homestay in the cute heritage area of Fort Kochi.
- Marari Beach: This is an "off-beat" location as Marari is mostly unknown to backpackers, but it can be a convenient stop to make between Cochin and Alleppey with chill laid back vibes. For an idea of what type of beach can be nearby, see my beach walk from Alleppey to Marari.
- Alleppey Beach:
- Funky Art Beach House again for chill vibes with a location among locals in a residential neighborhood
- And there's Zostel Alleppey too for another beach location to stay several days
- OR if Alleppey is a quick visit, try Dream Nest to be closer to town
- And see how to spend one day in Alleppey (short version: go for the backwaters village canoe tour instead of a houseboat!)
- Alleppey backwaters:
- Munroe Island: This is another generally kind of more off-beat location, and you can see a different part of the Kerala backwaters on a quiet island
- Varkala cliff:
Retreats in KeralaFor relaxation and rejuvenation for health and wellness, also see:
- Yoga retreats in Kerala
- Ayurveda retreats in Kerala - ayurveda is basically healthy living through natural herbs and remedies, and Kerala is the birthplace of ayurveda!
How to book India train tickets online as a foreignerIf you don't want to go through the complicated process of setting up an IRCTC Indian railways account as a foreigner...
Then the most convenient way to buy train tickets online is through this booking website. I've used it, and it's super simple! You buy the ticket, and then show the electronic version on your phone once you're on the train. Compared to buying directly through an Indian ticket booking website (IRCTC account required) or directly at the train station in India, there is a small convenience fee, as well as a less flexible cancellation policy, though!