So Mantra Cafe is basically Zostel Gokarna’s attached restaurant.
Zostel Gokarna is a hostel worth staying at, and part of that is because of Mantra Cafe that’s located right on-site!
And what’s one of the best parts about Mantra Cafe?!
Book your stay at Zostel Gokarna… soon!
Mantra Cafe comes with views… and so does Zostel Gokarna!
If you haven’t booked your accommodation in Gokarna yet, book now at Zostel Gokarna! (partner website.)
This is THE most popular place to stay in Gokarna.
I stayed at Zostel Gokarna when it was solidly the off-season (June), but you wouldn’t know that it was off-season if you were to just visit Mantra Cafe! (and Zostel!)
With the Mantra Cafe here, it means that you can eat and drink with ocean views without going far at all!
There’s also a group trek you can sign up for for the Gokarna beach trek that comes with amazing cliff views. (Costs extra – sign up when you get there.)
This place is especially good if you’re a solo traveler, and it’s good if you’re a small group too.
During the peak times, there were lots of people around.
And rooms even got booked up.
There were days when people wanted to stay an extra night, but had to stay elsewhere. (Actually this happened to me too.)
And on my last day there, I saw a group of girls show up hoping to book a place to stay at Zostel, but instead they had to take suggestions on where else to stay. (I mean, it’s off-season, so that means low occupancy of rooms, right?! Not always at Zostel!)
If Zostel is booked up, then go for Hostelavie Gokarna. This place has ocean views of its own, plus it’s right next to Zostel so you can still go to Mantra Cafe easily!
As soon as you know your dates, be sure to book your stay at Zostel!
You can see the reviews and book your room here. (partner website)
And when you’re in Varkala, consider going to Honey Beach if you’re looking to escape the crowds.
What kind of food can you get at Mantra Cafe?!
Menu options and prices can change! These pictures were taken in June 2019.
They also sell alcohol/beer at Mantra Cafe.
Mantra Cafe breakfast menu
Mantra Cafe lunch and dinner menu
HAPPY EATING AT MANTRA CAFE IN GOKARNA!
(AND HAPPY STAYING AT ZOSTEL GOKARNA!)
The need-to-know India travel tips!If it's your first trip to India, be sure to see these tips for getting around India on a budget, and more! Also be sure to see how to spend one month in South India and 2 weeks in North India, as well as tips for the Golden Triangle. And, overnight sleeper bus travel isn't so bad, and neither is traveling in general class on the train! Also see the easy way to get an e-visa.
There are affiliate links on this page that lead to partner websites.
Where to stay on the tourist trail in KeralaThese places basically go down the coast from north to south!
- Cochin: Try a homestay in the cute heritage area of Fort Kochi.
- Marari Beach: This is an "off-beat" location as Marari is mostly unknown to backpackers, but it can be a convenient stop to make between Cochin and Alleppey with chill laid back vibes. For an idea of what type of beach can be nearby, see my beach walk from Alleppey to Marari.
- Alleppey Beach:
- Funky Art Beach House again for chill vibes with a location among locals in a residential neighborhood
- And there's Zostel Alleppey too for another beach location to stay several days
- OR if Alleppey is a quick visit, try Dream Nest to be closer to town
- And see how to spend one day in Alleppey (short version: go for the backwaters village canoe tour instead of a houseboat!)
- Alleppey backwaters:
- Munroe Island: This is another generally kind of more off-beat location, and you can see a different part of the Kerala backwaters on a quiet island
- Varkala cliff:
Retreats in KeralaFor relaxation and rejuvenation for health and wellness, also see:
- Yoga retreats in Kerala
- Ayurveda retreats in Kerala - ayurveda is basically healthy living through natural herbs and remedies, and Kerala is the birthplace of ayurveda!
How to book India train tickets online as a foreignerIf you don't want to go through the complicated process of setting up an IRCTC Indian railways account as a foreigner...
Then the most convenient way to buy train tickets online is through this booking website. I've used it, and it's super simple! You buy the ticket, and then show the electronic version on your phone once you're on the train. Compared to buying directly through an Indian ticket booking website (IRCTC account required) or directly at the train station in India, there is a small convenience fee, as well as a less flexible cancellation policy, though!