You are sure to hear about the Edakkal Caves when you’re looking for things to do in Wayanad.
This tourist attraction is often listed as one of the top tourist attractions in the area.
It’s worth a visit in particular if you are into history.
There are carvings here that are believed to date back to the BC years.
It’s been said that Wayanad is one of the few places in India known to have such rock carvings.
What is the significance of the Edakkal Caves as a part of India’s history?
According to Kerala’s Department of Archaeology:
Edakkal rock engravings are invaluable treasures of the world heritage.
This site was first reported in the journal of Indian Antiquary in 1901 an illustrated article written by Fawcett, the Superintendent of Police of the erstwhile Malabar District.
Rock art in the form of paintings are there in plenty.
But engravings in the Edakkal Caves are unique.
The Edakkal engravings represent various objects and cultural signs of the past societies.
The drawings include figures of humans and animals, trees, wheels, carts, and also symbols, letters, and numeric signs.
Human figures depicted in different styles are the most important items among the drawings.
Wheels, carts, etc. are also represented in different styles.
Some of the newly found figures are comparable with signs and symbols reported from various Chalcolithic and Bronze Age sites of the subcontinent.
What can you expect with a trip to the Edakkal Caves?!
1. It’ll take about an hour to get to the caves by taxi or rickshaw from Kalpetta town
2. You can get to the caves by bus too
3. There’s a walk up a hill to get to the entry point
4. The entry fee is 30 rupees per person (less than US$0.50)
5. Stairs, stairs, and more stairs!
6. Rocks, rocks, and more rocks!
7. And with that climb comes a scenic overlook!
8. Rock carvings from the Stone Age?!
9. You’ll want to give yourself around 1 to 1.5 hours for this Edakkal Cave trek (that’s more like the Edakkal Cave stair climb)
Including the time it takes to get to the caves, that means this will end up being a half day trip.
If you go to the Edakkal Caves by bus, it will basically end up being a day trip from Kalpetta.
HAPPY EDAKKAL CAVES VISIT!
The need-to-know India travel tips!If it's your first trip to India, be sure to see these tips for getting around India on a budget, and more! You might wait until India to buy this mosquito repellent that works for many foreigners! Also be sure to see how to spend one month in South India and 2 weeks in North India, as well as tips for the Golden Triangle. And, overnight sleeper bus travel isn't so bad, and neither is traveling in general class on the train! Also see the easy way to get an e-visa. And this is the easy way to book train tickets online as a foreigner. I've used it, and it's simple! You can just show the e-ticket on your phone.
There are affiliate links on this page that lead to partner websites.
Hostels in KeralaFor a hostel with international standards in Kerala, try Zostel!
More Zostels in Kerala:
Zostel is a top backpacker chain across India, and I've stayed at many Zostels in India! And outside of Kerala, if you'll be passing through Gokarna as you go from Goa to Kerala (here are options of how to get from Goa to Kerala!), then Zostel Gokarna is in an amazing location too! Here are pictures from the on-site cafe that overlooks the ocean.
Where to stay on the tourist trail in KeralaThese places basically go down the coast from north to south!
- Cochin: Try a homestay in the cute heritage area of Fort Kochi.
- Marari Beach: This is an "off-beat" location as Marari is mostly unknown to backpackers, but it can be a convenient stop to make between Cochin and Alleppey with chill laid back vibes. For an idea of what type of beach can be nearby, see my beach walk from Alleppey to Marari.
- Alleppey Beach:
- Funky Art Beach House again for chill vibes with a location among locals in a residential neighborhood
- And there's Zostel Alleppey too for another beach location to stay several days
- OR if Alleppey is a quick visit, try Dream Nest to be closer to town
- And see how to spend one day in Alleppey (short version: go for the backwaters village canoe tour instead of a houseboat!)
- Alleppey backwaters:
- Munroe Island: This is another generally kind of more off-beat location, and you can see a different part of the Kerala backwaters on a quiet island
- Varkala cliff:
Retreats in KeralaFor relaxation and rejuvenation for health and wellness, also see:
- Yoga retreats in Kerala
- Ayurveda retreats in Kerala - ayurveda is basically healthy living through natural herbs and remedies, and Kerala is the birthplace of ayurveda!
How to book India train tickets online as a foreignerIf you don't want to go through the complicated process of setting up an IRCTC Indian railways account as a foreigner...
Then the most convenient way to buy train tickets online is through this booking website. I've used it, and it's super simple! You buy the ticket, and then show the electronic version on your phone once you're on the train. Compared to buying directly through an Indian ticket booking website (IRCTC account required) or directly at the train station in India, there is a small convenience fee, as well as a less flexible cancellation policy, though!