You are sure to hear about the Edakkal Caves when you’re looking for things to do in Wayanad.
This tourist attraction is often listed as one of the top tourist attractions in the area.
It’s worth a visit in particular if you are into history.
There are carvings here that are believed to date back to the BC years.
It’s been said that Wayanad is one of the few places in India known to have such rock carvings.
What is the significance of the Edakkal Caves as a part of India’s history?
According to Kerala’s Department of Archaeology:
Edakkal rock engravings are invaluable treasures of the world heritage.
This site was first reported in the journal of Indian Antiquary in 1901 an illustrated article written by Fawcett, the Superintendent of Police of the erstwhile Malabar District.
Rock art in the form of paintings are there in plenty.
But engravings in the Edakkal Caves are unique.
The Edakkal engravings represent various objects and cultural signs of the past societies.
The drawings include figures of humans and animals, trees, wheels, carts, and also symbols, letters, and numeric signs.
Human figures depicted in different styles are the most important items among the drawings.
Wheels, carts, etc. are also represented in different styles.
Some of the newly found figures are comparable with signs and symbols reported from various Chalcolithic and Bronze Age sites of the subcontinent.
What can you expect with a trip to the Edakkal Caves?!
1. It’ll take about an hour to get to the caves by taxi or rickshaw from Kalpetta town
2. You can get to the caves by bus too
3. There’s a walk up a hill to get to the entry point
4. The entry fee is 30 rupees per person (less than US$0.50)
5. Stairs, stairs, and more stairs!
6. Rocks, rocks, and more rocks!
7. And with that climb comes a scenic overlook!
8. Rock carvings from the Stone Age?!
9. You’ll want to give yourself around 1 to 1.5 hours for this Edakkal Cave trek (that’s more like the Edakkal Cave stair climb)
Including the time it takes to get to the caves, that means this will end up being a half day trip.
If you go to the Edakkal Caves by bus, it will basically end up being a day trip from Kalpetta.
HAPPY EDAKKAL CAVES VISIT!