You are sure to hear about the Edakkal Caves when you’re looking for things to do in Wayanad.
This tourist attraction is often listed as one of the top tourist attractions in the area.
It’s worth a visit in particular if you are into history.
There are carvings here that are believed to date back to the BC years.
It’s been said that Wayanad is one of the few places in India known to have such rock carvings.
What is the significance of the Edakkal Caves as a part of India’s history?
According to Kerala’s Department of Archaeology:
Edakkal rock engravings are invaluable treasures of the world heritage.
This site was first reported in the journal of Indian Antiquary in 1901 an illustrated article written by Fawcett, the Superintendent of Police of the erstwhile Malabar District.
Rock art in the form of paintings are there in plenty.
But engravings in the Edakkal Caves are unique.
The Edakkal engravings represent various objects and cultural signs of the past societies.
The drawings include figures of humans and animals, trees, wheels, carts, and also symbols, letters, and numeric signs.
Human figures depicted in different styles are the most important items among the drawings.
Wheels, carts, etc. are also represented in different styles.
Some of the newly found figures are comparable with signs and symbols reported from various Chalcolithic and Bronze Age sites of the subcontinent.
What can you expect with a trip to the Edakkal Caves?!
1. It’ll take about an hour to get to the caves by taxi or rickshaw from Kalpetta town
2. You can get to the caves by bus too
3. There’s a walk up a hill to get to the entry point
4. The entry fee is 30 rupees per person (less than US$0.50)
5. Stairs, stairs, and more stairs!
6. Rocks, rocks, and more rocks!
7. And with that climb comes a scenic overlook!
8. Rock carvings from the Stone Age?!
9. You’ll want to give yourself around 1 to 1.5 hours for this Edakkal Cave trek (that’s more like the Edakkal Cave stair climb)
Including the time it takes to get to the caves, that means this will end up being a half day trip.
If you go to the Edakkal Caves by bus, it will basically end up being a day trip from Kalpetta.
HAPPY EDAKKAL CAVES VISIT!
The need-to-know India travel tips!If it's your first trip to India, be sure to see these tips for getting around India on a budget, and more! Also be sure to see how to spend one month in South India and 2 weeks in North India, as well as tips for the Golden Triangle. And, overnight sleeper bus travel isn't so bad, and neither is traveling in general class on the train!
There are affiliate links on this page that lead to partner websites.
How to book India train tickets online as a foreignerIf you don't want to go through the complicated process of setting up an IRCTC Indian railways account as a foreigner...
Then the most convenient way to buy train tickets online is through this booking website. I've used it, and it's super simple! You buy the ticket, and then show the electronic version on your phone once you're on the train. Compared to buying directly through an Indian ticket booking website (IRCTC account required) or directly at the train station in India, there is a small convenience fee, as well as a less flexible cancellation policy, though!
India tourist visa tip!Access to India as a foreigner seems to be getting friendlier! There's an e-visa now and this visa fee is far less than it was before. See the current cost of an e-visa by selecting your country. That's a partner website to make the evisa application process less stressful - it's possible to apply on your own too. See about your options on how to get an e-visa for India.
Travel insurance for India - just in case!You get travel insurance hoping that you'll never have to use it. But if you do end up needing to use it, chances are that you will be VERY happy that you did get it! See how to figure out the cost of travel insurance for India.
Where to stay on the backpacker trail in Kerala
- Fort Cochin: Zostel Kochi
- Alleppey: Zostel Alleppey or Funky Art Beach House for chill beach vibes! (see my pics - zostel / funky) OR Dream Nest to be closer to town // and see how to spend one day in Alleppey
- Alleppey backwaters: cottage right on the waters
- Munroe Island: cottage backwaters homestay right on the waters (and see why you should consider munroe island!)
- Varkala cliff: Seawin or Prashanthi with ocean views