There is no airport in Alleppey, but you have a couple of options for flying into Kerala so that you can get to Alleppey as your first stop in Kerala!
The 2 airports closest to Alleppey:
- Kochi – Cochin Airport (COK)
- Thiruvananthapuram – Trivandrum Airport (TRV)
Cochin airport would be the airport for central Kerala.
Trivandrum airport would be the airport for south Kerala.
There are also 2 more airports, in north Kerala:
- Kozhikode – Calicut airport (CCJ)
- Kannur airport (CNN)
But when you’re traveling on the backpacker’s trail in Kerala, Cochin and Trivandrum are the 2 airports to know about.
If Alleppey is your goal, then Cochin airport is your obvious choice.
But if you’ve already booked your flight to Kerala into or out of Trivandrum airport without thinking about how close it is to Alleppey, no problem.
It’s easy enough to get from Alleppey to Trivandrum airport too. And, it can be an excuse to go to another worthy Kerala destination en route. 😉
And Alleppey can be a perfect part of one week in Kerala!
Alleppey to Cochin Airport (Central Kerala)
The most convenient airport to Alleppey is the Cochin Airport. This airport is actually located outside of the main part of Cochin. It’s around an hour drive from the main tourist area of Fort Cochin to Cochin Airport.
Alleppey to Cochin airport by taxi
How much does it cost?
A taxi from Alleppey to Cochin airport is around 2,000 rupees (US$30) and is around a 2.5 hour drive.
It can be best to ask your Alleppey guesthouse to book a taxi for you.
Alleppey to Cochin airport by bus
Bus is always a convenient option for traveling around Kerala since there are frequent timings between major cities. There are direct buses from Alleppey to Cochin Airport, but there are limited timings.
If you can’t manage to catch a direct bus because the bus timings don’t match your flight time, there are other options you can take by bus.
You’ll just go through cities in which there are more frequent bus timings.
You can take a bus from Alleppey to Aluva, and then catch another bus onwards.
Buses between Cochin Airport and Aluva, as well as Aluva and Alleppey, are frequent enough for this to be a reliable option.
You may also consider a rickshaw between Aluva and the airport (15-20 minutes) since it’s a short distance. The bus between Alleppey and Aluva is around 2 hours.
If you’re taking a bus from Alleppey to the airport, ask the guesthouse you’re staying at for confirmation about the best route and for bus timings.
Here’s what area of Alleppey to stay based on what you’re looking for.
Alleppey to Cochin airport by train
Another option that’s available is to take the train to or from Cochin Airport.
Trains are more limited compared to buses, but you can also look at taking the train as an option to get to the airport from Alleppey.
The closest train station to the Cochin airport is Aluva. You can find train timings through the trainman app.
Similar to taking the bus, for the rest of the journey between Aluva and the airport you can take a bus or rickshaw. Taking a rickshaw to the airport from Aluva would be the most convenient.
Alleppey to Trivandrum Airport (South Kerala)
Trivandrum is also called Thiruvananthapuram.
The Cochin Airport is definitely the most convenient airport near Alleppey.
So it wouldn’t be ideal to fly into Trivandrum if you’ll only be visiting Alleppey, and it wouldn’t be ideal if you’re flying out of Alleppey.
But if you’ve booked your flight without thinking much of the details, it’s not too bad to get to Trivandrum airport from Alleppey, or the other way around.
If you want to go straight from Trivandrum Airport to Alleppey, it will likely be around a 4 hour journey at least.
If I were doing this trip, I’d probably go for the train. Again, have a look at the trainman app for the train timings.
The best option would be to take a rickshaw from the airport to Trivandrum train station.
If you don’t mind taking a couple of days to go from Alleppey to Trivandrum, consider:
- Take the tourist ferry from Alleppey to Kollam
- Go from Kollam to Varkala by bus or train
- Spend a day or 2 in Varkala
- Go from Varkala to Trivandrum Airport by train or taxi
Or if you’re going in the opposite direction from Trivandrum to Alleppey:
- Train from near Trivandrum Airport to Varkala
- Spend a day or 2 in Varkala
- Take an early morning bus (requires a transfer) or train from Varkala to Kollam
- Take the tourist ferry from Kollam to Alleppey
HAPPY KERALA AIRPORT PLANNING!
The need-to-know India travel tips!If it's your first trip to India, be sure to see these tips for getting around India on a budget, and more! Also be sure to see how to spend one month in South India and 2 weeks in North India, as well as tips for the Golden Triangle. And, overnight sleeper bus travel isn't so bad, and neither is traveling in general class on the train! Also see the easy way to get an e-visa.
There are affiliate links on this page that lead to partner websites.
Where to stay on the tourist trail in KeralaThese places basically go down the coast from north to south!
- Cochin: Try a homestay in the cute heritage area of Fort Kochi.
- Marari Beach: This is an "off-beat" location as Marari is mostly unknown to backpackers, but it can be a convenient stop to make between Cochin and Alleppey with chill laid back vibes. For an idea of what type of beach can be nearby, see my beach walk from Alleppey to Marari.
- Alleppey Beach:
- Funky Art Beach House again for chill vibes with a location among locals in a residential neighborhood
- And there's Zostel Alleppey too for another beach location to stay several days
- OR if Alleppey is a quick visit, try Dream Nest to be closer to town
- And see how to spend one day in Alleppey (short version: go for the backwaters village canoe tour instead of a houseboat!)
- Alleppey backwaters:
- Munroe Island: This is another generally kind of more off-beat location, and you can see a different part of the Kerala backwaters on a quiet island
- Varkala cliff:
Retreats in KeralaFor relaxation and rejuvenation for health and wellness, also see:
- Yoga retreats in Kerala
- Ayurveda retreats in Kerala - ayurveda is basically healthy living through natural herbs and remedies, and Kerala is the birthplace of ayurveda!
How to book India train tickets online as a foreignerIf you don't want to go through the complicated process of setting up an IRCTC Indian railways account as a foreigner...
Then the most convenient way to buy train tickets online is through this booking website. I've used it, and it's super simple! You buy the ticket, and then show the electronic version on your phone once you're on the train. Compared to buying directly through an Indian ticket booking website (IRCTC account required) or directly at the train station in India, there is a small convenience fee, as well as a less flexible cancellation policy, though!